Is it required that one parent has to pay child support?

Mens divorce lawyerQuestion:

If my wife and I agree to joint custody and no child support in our divorce, will I still end up paying child support by a judge’s orders?


In Missouri, child support is typically calculated by using a Form 14. The Form 14 considers both parents’ incomes to determine an amount of child support.

If both parents agree that the calculated amount from the Form 14 is unreasonable, then they can agree on a different amount. Sometimes this amount can be more or less than what the Form 14 suggested.

A judge may consider an agreement for no child support if both parents have relatively equal incomes and share 50/50 custody. If the judge is concerned that the arrangement for support is unfair or will be a detriment to the child, the judge could decide to order support anyway.

Please understand that my opinions are based upon the limited facts that you provided to me. For a more in depth discussion of your legal rights, I urge you to contact an attorney immediately.

Cordell & Cordell has well qualified and experienced men’s divorce lawyers located nationwide, including many in Missouri, if you require additional legal assistance.


Michelle Hughes is an Associate Attorney in the Jefferson County, Missouri office of Cordell & Cordell where she practices domestic relations exclusively. Ms. Hughes is licensed in the states of Missouri and Illinois, and the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri. A native to metro St. Louis, Ms. Hughes received her BBA in Economics and Finances from McKendree College. She later received her Juris Doctor from Thomas Cooley Law School where she graduated cum laude.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *