My Ex Asks For More Money In Addition To Child Support

colorado springs divorce lawyer Stephanie RikemanQuestion:

My ex-wife is constantly asking for additional money above and beyond the child support I pay.

Every week she calls and harasses me for additional money.

Is there anything I can do to prevent her from continually asking for more than what I am paying in child support?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Colorado divorce laws where I am licensed to practice.

A great deal of your question depends on what specific orders were entered by the court through your divorce and child support obligation.

In parenting plans I draft, it is typical to include (and my state’s courts include if we have to litigate the issue) provisions about other expenses of the minor child apart from just basic child support.

For example, some courts require that provisions be entered about providing medical insurance for the minor child and allow for a “credit” on child support calculations for the parent who bears that expense. There may also be provisions for extraordinary medical expenses that aren’t covered by insurance.

Parenting plans often require that the parents confer and agree on non-emergency medical care before the expense is incurred.

For school items and extracurricular activities, courts can order how to divide those types of expenses. For example, a parenting plan may state any non-historical extracurricular costs (such as a new sport or dance lessons if the child hasn’t taken those historically) have to be agreed upon between the parents before the activity is signed up for or the parent doesn’t have an obligation to pay for his or her portion of it.

Generally, clothing and food are what child support is supposed to already cover.

If you don’t have orders in place addressing these issues, then there may be provisions that allow you to request further orders from the court to clarify the obligation or motions to modify child support or the court’s orders.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Colorado Springs Divorce Lawyer Stephanie D. Rikeman, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

One comment on “My Ex Asks For More Money In Addition To Child Support

    I am paying child support and my ex-wife asked me for more money of 2 hundred which I gave to her. Now my daughter is 16 and she is able to drive, and she asked me to pay her insurance, gas, clothing to school. Please advice, I am located state of Texas.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *