What Is The Process For Changing My Child’s Last Name?


I am in the process of adopting my child and am not sure how to proceed with changing his last name. I thought this was done automatically through the court system, but I guess I was wrong.

What do I need to do now?


While I am not licensed to practice law in your state and cannot give you legal advice, I can give some general observations on this issue based on the jurisdiction where I practice.

Where I practice in Pennsylvania, a name can generally be formally changed on the birth certificate of a child by initiating proceedings in the orphans’ court. The petitioner for such an action will file the appropriate paperwork in the county where he or she resides. A petition is required to have certain relevant information; and statutory provisions for the name change of a child can be found in 54 Pa.C.S.A. § 701(a.1). Usually the court will grant a name change of a child when it is shown that such a change is in the child’s best interests.

Pennsylvania divorce attorney William Phelan
Cordell & Cordell Pennsylvania divorce attorney William Phelan, IV

Due to the extremely fact-specific nature of this situation, I would strongly suggest you contact an attorney who handles family law matters in your jurisdiction, such as Cordell & Cordell, to see how your state’s laws can specifically help you with this serious situation. This type of attorney should be helpful in providing you specific assistance for your matter.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips, so please consult a domestic litigation attorney in your jurisdiction to obtain specific advice as to the laws in your state and how they particularly impact your potential case.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Pennsylvania divorce lawyer William J. Phelan, IV, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *