Stopping Your Ex-Wife From Filing Frivolous Motions

Utah divorce lawyerQuestion:

My ex-wife keeps trying to get sole child custody by harassing me and filing frivolous motions with the court.

Every few months she writes me a threatening letter and then files something with the court that is usually dismissed but still costs me attorney fees and time away from my job.

Is there such a thing as legal harassment? How can I get her to stop filing these motions?


I am only licensed to practice law in Utah, thus I can only provide you with some general divorce help for men regarding the divorce laws you present in your question.

You need to document everything your ex-spouse does to harass you. This will allow you to build a case showing that she is “harassing” you.

Thorough documentation will allow you to show the court that she is not just bothering you, but harassing you and that you should be awarded attorney’s fees or sanctions should be imposed on her for bringing frivolous motions or forcing you to move the court for relief.

As to the threatening letters, keep track of them. You may also want to keep a journal of your activities when the children are in your care. It is not the best evidence, but it is better than nothing. If she keeps threatening you in the letter, you may want to look into petitioning the court for a restraining order.

Again, I am unable to provide you with advice on divorce and this should not be construed as an attorney-client relationship. Consult with a local mens divorce attorney for specific divorce advice about options in your jurisdiction.

To schedule an appointment with a Cordell & Cordell mens divorce lawyer, including Utah Divorce Lawyer David W. Read, please contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *