Stopping Your Ex-Wife’s Online Harassment

divorce lawyer Caroline ThompsonQuestion:

I feel that my ex-wife’s cyber-stalking of me on social media sites is a form of harassment.

Is there anything I can do to make her stop harassing me on Facebook, Instagram, etc.?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Pennsylvania divorce laws where I am licensed to practice.

You have the option of filing a Protection from Abuse action (or similarly named order of protection in your state). The PFA is essentially a civil version of a criminal restraining order.

If a PFA order is entered it will prevent the Defendant from abusing, stalking and/or harassing the Plaintiff for up to three years, depending on how long the court enters the order for. This also prohibits any contact from third parties on behalf of the Defendant.

However, in order for a PFA to be entered, the Plaintiff must be in reasonable fear of imminent bodily harm. This is the minimum threshold for a PFA to be entered.

Therefore, if your ex-wife is threatening you on the websites with bodily harm, I would encourage you to speak with an attorney about the options in your area about filing a PFA.

Another option is to file a private criminal complaint against your ex-wife in an effort to cease her harassing behavior. In order to file a private criminal complaint, you should contact your local District Attorney’s office, with proof of your ex-wife’s stalking behavior.

I would make sense to print out any statements she has made on your social media profile pages. The DA’s office should be able to advise you properly on how to file a complaint and if the facts of your case give rise to a cause of action.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with divorce lawyers for men in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Philadelphia Divorce Lawyer Caroline J. Thompson, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *