Tax Tips: Can I Get A Copy Of My Ex-Wife’s Tax Return?

St. Louis divorce lawyerQuestion:

I am divorced and as part of our decree, I am allowed to claim our children on my taxes.

However, I have to pay my ex-wife the difference between what she gets back and what she would get back if she claimed the kids.

Am I entitled to see a copy of her submitted tax return to verify what I owe her? If not, I am taking her word for it.


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can only give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Missouri divorce laws where I am temporarily permitted to practice.

In my state, if you did not specifically agree with your former spouse that you would be entitled to receive a copy of her filed tax return information via your Judgment or settlement agreement, you may not have any specific rights to this information.

Unfortunately, you may have to take her word for it, but keep in mind that you can at least ask her to provide you with this information. Whether she gives it to you is uncertain, and obviously not guaranteed.

In the event, however, that circumstances warrant you seeking a post-dissolution modification of your judgment (in essence, having a pending case on file with the court), there may be ways, depending upon your jurisdiction, of obtaining this information.

Related Articles:

Tax Tips For Divorced Dads

Notwithstanding, I recommend that you consult with an attorney in your jurisdiction in order to further discuss the details of your case and to determine what options you may have moving forward pursuant to the laws of your state.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men. Consult with a local divorce lawyer for specific legal advice on divorce.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Jennifer de Lyon Stralka, a St. Louis divorce lawyer, contact Cordell & Cordell Law Firm.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *