Teenagers and Custody When No Custody Arrangement Exists

Question:jason bowman attorney kentucky

My teenage son wants to move in with me and leave his mother’s home.

His mother and I were never married, and neither one of us has custody of him ordered by a court. I have been paying her child support throughout the years.

I was wondering how a custody agreement could be arranged, and whether he could live with me?


While I am not licensed to practice law in your state, I can give some general guidance on this issue.

Teenagers are always difficult in cases where there are two households, since it is generally not a good idea to physically make them go anywhere.

Usually, I always ask clients to try to get to the heart of the problem as to why the child does not want to go to the other’s parents home. Is the other parent’s home too strict, or does your home have no rules? These are always important questions to ask.

It is important to let the child know that it is not his or her decision, as they are still a child. While teenagers may think they know best, you have to do what you think is in their best interest because you are the parent.

It is always helpful to your cause to try to foster the relationship with the child and the other parent, letting the child know that it is okay for him or her to love the other parent.

If the child still refuses to go to the other parent’s home, and the other parent is not in agreement with modification of the status quo, you may need to take the issue to court.

This might especially be so if you are under a court order to pay support. If you are ordered to pay child support, then in most states,  you have to go back and change that order. Otherwise, you will be required to pay the same amount even if the child is living with you.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult a domestic litigation attorney in your area to obtain specific advice as to the laws in your state and how they impact your potential case.


To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Kentucky divorce lawyer Jason Bowman, contact Cordell & Cordell.


End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *