Terminate A Voluntary Guardianship Order

Omaha Nebraska Divorce LawyerQuestion:

I voluntarily signed over guardianship of my son to my ex-girlfriend’s relatives since neither of us were fit to be parents at the time.

Now they would like to send the child back to live with me, which I am ready to accept.

What is the process for terminating the guardianship and having my son returned to me? Do I need my ex-girlfriend’s permission as well?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Nebraska and Iowa divorce laws where I am licensed to practice.

It sounds like you signed off on a voluntary guardianship. Where I practice, you can file a motion to terminate the guardianship since it is voluntary.

You will then come forward and testify that you would like to terminate the guardianship and that you would like your child returned to you.

Further, where I practice, only one parent need come forward if they are willing to take custody. Parents, barring any unforeseen circumstances, have a superior right to raising their children above and beyond all others.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Omaha, Nebraska Divorce Lawyer Jamie Kinkaid, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *