What to Do When You Get Home & Your Wife Has Left

Question:elisabeth flemming attorney nevada

I arrived home from work to see the police at our home. My wife was getting her things together and getting herself ready to leave.

Now, she has left and taken the kids with her. What happens next? What should I do first?



While I am not licensed to practice law in your state, I can give some general guidance on this issue.

My answer to your question depends on the current status of your relationship with the children’s mother.  If you are married, then you must file for separation or divorce to obtain court-enforceable visitation with the children.

If you are unmarried and not confirmed as the father of the children on their birth certificates, then you need to file a complaint for paternity and/or custody to obtain custodial rights.

In the interim, I would contact her and see if you two can arrange any informal visitation. However, if she intends on withholding the children from you, I would seek the assistance of a family law attorney licensed in your jurisdiction as soon as possible.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult a domestic litigation attorney in your area to obtain specific advice as to the laws in your state and how they impact your potential case.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Nevada divorce lawyer Elisabeth Flemming, contact Cordell & Cordell. 

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *