Wife Left the Kids, the House and Me – Does this Benefit Me?

Question:maura boogay attorney pennsylvania new jersey

What happens if my wife left the house and is getting her own place?

She left the kids with me and claimed she suffered from emotional abuse.

Can this benefit me in terms of a divorce or with custody?


While I am not licensed to practice law in your state, I can give some general guidance on this issue.

If your wife leaves your residence, you most likely want to file an action regarding custody. Some states allow these to be filed separately, some do not.

Even if she left the children with you, you want an order confirming the custody arrangement to protect your interests in the future. You will want this for child support purposes and to have it in case she changes her mind.

With regard to an action for emotional abuse, there is no such thing in the states of Pennsylvania and New Jersey in a family law action. However, that doesn’t mean it does not exist in your state. You need to discuss the validity of this claim with an attorney in your state.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult a domestic litigation attorney in your area to obtain specific advice as to the laws in your state and how they impact your potential case.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Pennsylvania divorce lawyer Caroline Thompsoncontact Cordell & Cordell. 

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *