Will Child Support Increase If My Ex’s Car Insurance Increases?


Will I be required to pay additional child support because my ex-wife’s car insurance increased when our child got his driver’s license?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Pennsylvania divorce and child support laws where I am licensed to practice.

In general, additional expenses of one party may be allocated between the parties in proportion to their net incomes and then added to his or her basic support obligation.

Where I practice, the Rules of Civil Procedure include allocation of additional expenses for expenses such as child care, health insurance premiums, unreimbursed medical expenses and mortgage payments. There can also be an allocation of additional expenses between the parties for “other needs of a child” which are not specifically addressed by the child support guidelines.

With that being said, if your ex’s increased car insurance due to your child receiving a driver’s license is considered a reasonable expense by the court, the amount of the increase in insurance will then be allocated between you and your ex in proportion to your net incomes.

Assuming there is already a child support order in place, your ex would have to first Petition to Modify your support obligation. It would then be in the court’s discretion to determine whether the increase in your ex’s car insurance is a reasonable expense which should be allocated between both parties.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Philadelphia Divorce Lawyer Ashley Weiner, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *