Can I Prevent My Wife’s Boyfriend From Being Around My Children While We Are Still Married?

baltimore divorce lawyerQuestion:

Can I prevent my wife from having her boyfriend around my children while we are still married?

She decided to she wants to separate and has moved out and into another man’s house before we have agreed to divorce or even signed any legal separation documents.

Do I have a right to refuse to allow my children to live with another man considering we have not legally separated or filed any divorce papers?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Maryland divorce and child custody laws where I am licensed to practice.

First, if your wife is moving in with another man prior to a separation or divorce, she is potentially committing adultery, which could impact a future action for divorce.

Second, whenever you are dealing with issues regarding minor children, the law looks toward what is in the best interest of the children. You most likely do not have an inherent right to refuse to allow your wife to move in with someone else.

Absent any agreement or court order stating otherwise, you and your wife probably have equal rights with regard to the children.

If you feel that it is not in the best interest of the children to live with your wife’s paramour, there are several ways you could work to restrict that exposure. If you are working toward an agreement regarding child custody, you could condition any agreement on the children not being exposed to any relationship for a period of time after the parties’ separation.

You could also pursue custody through the court. Where I practice, it is not uncommon for parties to request a provision in any child custody order asking that the children not be exposed to their parent’s outside relationships for a specific period.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a mens divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Baltimore, Maryland Divorce Lawyer Rebecca Ripley, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

3 Comments on "Can I Prevent My Wife’s Boyfriend From Being Around My Children While We Are Still Married?"

Notify of

Sort by:   newest | oldest
3 months 7 days ago

I live in Colorado, everytime I request police assistance they tell me to take it up with a lawyer. My ex’s simp decided he would tell me he was a cop when I asked him politely, man to man, to not encourage the ex be so aggressive. Oh, my ex wife is still married to her second husband.

Been there
8 months 19 days ago
This situation Is happening to me as I write this. Every time your child tells you something is going on don’t hesitate go straight to the police and get a report done. Then press the police To see if they are going to press charges against this individual. These are your children fight for them. My wife is allowing her boyfriend to lay on my daughter say inappropriate things to her and leave the door open to their bedroom while they have sex on her every other weekend visits. I am pursuing charges against this Piece of s***Excuse for a… Read more »
2 years 9 months ago

Child Endangerment
You must know that the other man, or manstress, could molest your children or harm them in any other way. It happens when women cheat. We hear of the other man harming their young children, even grown daughters, thus causing the husband to press child endangerment charges against the philandering wife.