Advice On Divorce: Can I Prevent My Ex From Entering the Marital Home?

mens divorce lawyer Janet Yu JohnstonQuestion:

In my divorce settlement, I was awarded exclusive use of the marital home.

My ex-wife still has keys to the house and still has personal property in the house.

What rights do I have under exclusive occupancy? May I change the locks? May I demand she move her property out by a certain date and dispose of it if she fails to comply?

When and under what circumstances can she enter the property?


I am not licensed to practice law in your state so I cannot offer legal advice on divorce. However, I can give you general divorce help for men that may be useful to you.

All the answers to your questions depend on the terms of your marital settlement agreement. I assume that your divorce has been completely finalized, and the assets settled.

Exclusive occupancy usually means that you either get the keys back or can change the locks. Depending on your settlement agreement, you may or may not move her property.

She does not have the right to enter the property or issue limitations to your use of the home. However, if she is still on the Deed of the property, she does by law still have ownership in the home.

I recommend that you speak with an attorney for specific advice on divorce as I do not know the full details of your situation.

Cordell & Cordell has mens divorce lawyers located nationwide. To arrange an initial consultation with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Janet Yu Johnston, an Associate Attorney in the Louisville, Kentucky office, please contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *