How To Stop Your Ex-Wife From Harassing You

Indiana divorce lawyerQuestion:

I need advice on divorce on how to stop my ex-wife from harassing me.

For years she has caused problems by making threats against me, calling me names in front of our children, and generally harassing my family and I.

I have filed complaints with the domestic relations court, but nothing ever happens.

How can I stop her harassment? Should I call the police?


This answer only includes general divorce help for men since I am only licensed to practice in Indiana and am thus unable to provide any legal advice on divorce on laws in other states.

Depending on the nature of the threats and harassment, her actions may be criminal under your state’s laws.

I caution you not to simply run off and call the police, though. You are to foster a positive relationship with your children’s mother and calling the police would hinder that effort. Likewise, she is to do the same. Calling the police on her every time she gets upset is not likely to have the effect you want.

She is clearly hindering that relationship by making threatening statements and calling you names. If this is occurring in front of your children this may have an adverse impact on your relationship with your kids.

Read Related Articles:

How To Deal With Parental Alienation

I am unclear as to whether or not your “complaints with the domestic relations court” on this issue have been filings requesting some form of relief or merely a lodged complaint. By filing a petition for contempt you are saying that someone has violated a court’s order. If the court agrees with you, you can request some form of relief i.e. what you would like to see happen.

A skilled mens divorce attorney can point out the issues and request appropriate sanctions against your ex. I would suggest that you have some idea of what you would like to see happen if she continues in this manner.

In other words, if she continues to hinder your relationship with your children, what would you like the judge to do? There are many options that an attorney can help you explore.

Please understand that my opinions are based upon the limited facts that you provided to me. For a more in depth discussion of fathers rights and advice on divorce, I urge you to contact a family law attorney.

To set up an appointment with a Cordell & Cordell mens divorce attorney, including Nathan A. Hacker, an Associate Attorney in Indianapolis, please contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

One comment on “How To Stop Your Ex-Wife From Harassing You

    My ex wife and I have joint custody of our 8 year old son. We are supposed to have unimpeded phone communication with him, and she has not allowed me to contact my son in four days. I and supposed to pick him up today, but I can not reach my ex or my son. I do not know where he is or if he is alright. What can I do???

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *