Ask a Divorce Lawyer: Can parental rights be terminated before a baby is born?


I am pregnant with a man’s child that I am no longer dating. We mutually agreed that he will have no parental rights of the child in terms of finances, visitation, custody, etc. I am trying to find out what the process would be to make this “separation” legal. How do we protect each other from future potential actions? Can his parental rights be terminated before the child is born?


First let me preface my answer by stating that I am not licensed to practice law in the state of Missouri, although Cordell & Cordell, P.C. does have attorneys who are licensed in Missouri that would be happy to discuss your case with you.

Every state is different with regards to the parent-child relationship and how the laws affect that relationship. It may be possible for you to take steps to terminate his parental rights, but you may not be able to do that prior to the baby being born. You should consult an attorney in your jurisdiction to see all the options that are available to you and what steps that you will need to take.


Jason Bowman is an attorney in the Louisville, Kentucky office of Cordell & Cordell, P.C. He is licensed in the states of Kentucky and Texas. He received his Bachelor of Science in Business from the University of Louisville, and received his Juris Doctor from Texas Wesleyan University.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *