If my kids are adopted, do I have to keep paying child support?

Question: My ex wife moved from Florida with my kids to Tennessee. I’ve been told my family that her new husband adopted my two children.

If he did adopt my kids, am I off the hook for child support?



First, let me state that I am not licensed in Florida, although Cordell & Cordell, P.C. has attorneys who are licensed in Florida that would be happy to discuss your case with you.

I don’t know how your ex-wife’s new husband could have adopted your children without your knowledge, generally with any adoption, notice must be given to the parents of the children.

If your ex-wife’s new husband did adopt the children then this would sever your rights to the children. However, this may not end your responsibility to pay child support. If your child support is Court Ordered then it would be your responsibility to move the Court to change that order based upon this circumstances. Until such time as the Court orders child support to cease, you should continue to follow the Order of the Court.


Jason Bowman is an attorney in the Louisville, Kentucky office of Cordell & Cordell, P.C. He is licensed in the states of Kentucky and Texas. He received his Bachelor of Science in Business from the University of Louisville, and received his Juris Doctor from Texas Wesleyan University.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *