Is it necessary for me to terminate my parental rights?


My girlfriend and I broke up 3 weeks ago because she is moving back to Korea with her family. She recently told me she is two months pregnant. I had this confirmed.

She wants nothing from me financially or legally. All she wants is for me to voluntarily terminate my parental rights. Is this necessary if the child is born in another country and I am not listed on the birth certificate? Can this be done and accepted in court before the child is actually born?


You need to contact a domestic litigation attorney licensed in your state immediately.  I do not practice in California so I cannot answer your specific questions.  Paternity and termination of parental rights laws vary from state to state. In my state for example (Wisconsin), you could not just terminate your parental rights by signing a form or agreement as the State has an interest in ensuring that the child is supported by two parents; there are formal proceedings on the matter.  If the child is born in Korea, the laws in Korea would control.  Therefore, it is important that you meet with an attorney before she moves out of the country.



Erica Christian is an Associate Attorney in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin, office of Cordell & Cordell, P.C. She is licensed to practice law in the state of Wisconsin. She is a member of the Wisconsin Bar Association, the Family Law Section and the Children’s Law Section.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *