Ask a Divorce Lawyer: Is there a basic right of visitation since I pay weekly child support?

Question: Can my ex prevent me from seeing my kids? We do not have a custody agreement through the state. 

Nonetheless, is there a basic right of visitation being that I do pay weekly child support? 

A few months ago she totally stopped all means of communication (visitation, phone calls, email, etc.) between not only me and my daughters, but my daughters and my entire family.



Because you have a weekly child support payment, I am assuming you were not married. You should review the Order requiring you to pay child support to see if there are any provisions relating to custody and placement.  

Because you were not married at the time the children were born, most states default to sole legal custody and placement with the mother.  In most states, you can petition the court through a paternity action for custody and placement.  

I do not practice in Pennsylvania.  However, Cordell & Cordell has many attorneys licensed and located in Pennsylvania who would be happy to assist you. 


Erica Christian is an Associate Attorney in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin, office of Cordell & Cordell, P.C. She is licensed to practice law in the state of Wisconsin. She is a member of the Wisconsin Bar Association, the Family Law Section and the Children’s Law Section.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *