Ask A Lawyer: Child Support Rule Of Thumb?


If my wife and I make the same income, and we also have an eight-year-old daughter. What should I expect to pay in child support if we divorce?

We both make 105K (plus bonus) each. We have separated and I am presently paying the house payment for them.






You need to consult an attorney in your jurisdiction as child support calculations vary from state to state; some states base child support on the non-residential parents income only; some states use an “income-shares” approach basing child support on both parents income. 

There are other factors including but not limited to maintenance paid or received, health insurance costs for the children, parenting time adjustments, long distance parenting time expenses, school related expenses and special needs of the children that can go into the calculation of child support. 

Generally expenses, including house payments, are not considered in child support calculations.



Tiffany A. McFarland is a Senior Attorney and Litigation Manager with Cordell & Cordell, P.C. in the Overland Park, Kansas and Kansas City, Missouri offices. Ms. McFarland practices exclusively in the area of domestic relations. 

Tiffany is licensed in the state of Missouri and the state of Kansas and is certified as a Guardian ad Litem.

End of Content Icon

One comment on “Ask A Lawyer: Child Support Rule Of Thumb?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *