Ask A Lawyer: How Do I Obtain Custody?



I have a seven month old child with a woman who I am not married to. How do I obtain custody?  I am sure that this will be a very nasty battle, so I need to know where I should start.





The place to start is to consult with a local attorney experienced in custody disputes involving very young children.  You can look up your state’s statutes concerning the factors to be used by the courts in determining custody.  An experience attorney will tell you how your courts tend to rule and what factors they tend to emphasize.


Erik H. Carter is a Senior Attorney of the Cordell & Cordell, P.C. office in Indianapolis, Indiana as well as the Litigation Manager of both the Indianapolis and Pittsburgh offices. Mr. Carter has practiced since 1993 as an attorney. He is licensed in Illinois, Indiana, Pennsylvania as well as the Northern District of Indiana and the Southern District of Indiana.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *