Ask A Lawyer: Matching Child Support with Current Lower Income


I am more than halfway through the hiring process at a local police department. If hired I will be making 37,500, compared to 60,300 in my current profession, but I believe I will be much happier and my employment will be more secure.

At the present time I am laid off due to lack of work.

To make this transition I need to have my child support lowered to match my new income. What is the first step in doing this?




You need to consult an attorney in your jurisdiction as child support calculations vary from state to state.  Your attorney will need to file a Motion to Modify Child Support based on your change of income. 

Your attorney will also need to address the fact that you were involuntarily laid off and are seeking re-employment. 



Tiffany A. McFarland is a Senior Attorney and Litigation Manager with Cordell & Cordell, P.C. in the Overland Park, Kansas and Kansas City, Missouri offices. Ms. McFarland practices exclusively in the area of domestic relations. 

Tiffany is licensed in the state of Missouri and the state of Kansas and is certified as a Guardian ad Litem.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *