Ask A Lawyer: Questions Concerning Paternity


My son has been in a relationship with a girl for a little over a year. He recently found out that she was sexually active with another gentleman and broke off the relationship.

3 weeks later she came to my son with the news that she was pregnant! I have instructed my son to limit his contact with her and to plan on having a paternity test done after the baby is born. My son, in the event that the baby is his, is fully prepared to step up and do the right thing by the baby.

He will not be marrying this girl even though she has been threatening him with making his life a Hell on Earth. My Son feels he can no longer trust her. I am not sure ho w to properly go about having the Paternity test done and if the baby is his what legal procedures should he take concerning monetary support of the baby as well as custody/visitation?


Your son needs to consult an attorney in the jurisdiction where the child resides.  You may be able to obtain a paternity test before filing an action with the Court.  Once your son receives the test results, he can decide how to proceed; if he is found to be the biological father of the child he will want to file an action to establish paternity, a parenting schedule and child support.



Tiffany A. McFarland is a Senior Attorney and Litigation Manager with Cordell & Cordell, P.C. in the Overland Park, Kansas and Kansas City, Missouri offices. Ms. McFarland practices exclusively in the area of domestic relations. 

Tiffany is licensed in the state of Missouri and the state of Kansas and is certified as a Guardian ad Litem.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *