Bringing In A New Family Court Judge In The Middle Of A Case

divorce lawyer Andrew LaufersQuestion:

A new family court judge has replaced the previous one who heard our arguments over splitting medical costs and variable expenses.

The previous judge said he favored my side, but did not add the language to the court order after the hearing, so can the new commissioner access any notes the prior commissioner may have made about our case if the order wasn’t updated?

Can the new commissioner overrule the previous judgment?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Minnesota divorce laws where I am licensed to practice.

As a general rule, agreements govern how variable costs can be split. However, that is a general rule and courts have wide discretion on how that is enforced.

If the new family court commissioner believes that there has been a change in circumstances  he or she could allocate variable costs in whatever manner deemed equitable. Equitable is a fancy legal word for “fair.”

As for accessing records, unless it is contained in an order and written down, what the commissioner said is not binding.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Minnesota Divorce Lawyer Andrew J. Laufers, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.