Can I Move My Child Custody Case To A Different State?

child custody across state linesQuestion:

Is there any way to move my child custody case to the state I’m currently living in? My ex-wife and I live in separate states and the expense for hotel rentals, car rentals, plane tickets, and everything else is starting to take its toll.


Please be advised that I am barred in Pennsylvania and will answer your question based on my experience in Pennsylvania.

All states in the U.S. have adopted the Uniform Child Custody and Jurisdiction Enforcement Act (UCCJEA) and the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA). Whether an action may be transferred to another state is dependent on these acts.

Philadelphia Divorce Attorney Jaimie Collins
Philadelphia Divorce Attorney Jaimie Collins

With regard to custody, succinctly, a custody action may be transferred from one state to another if the parties and evidence regarding the child no longer remain in the state where the action was originally filed.

With regard to support, this may be transferred between states if neither the obligee nor obligor remains in the state where the action was commenced, however, as each state calculates and determines the duration of support differently, you should consult with an attorney barred in your state to determine whether it would be advantageous to transfer your support matter.

You should schedule an initial consultation with an attorney barred in your state at the earliest opportunity to discuss the facts of your case and your options for relief further.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Pennsylvania divorce lawyer Jaimie Collins, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Shawn Garrison is an Online Editor for Lexicon, focusing on subjects related to the legal services of customers, Cordell & Cordell and Cordell & Cordell UK. He has written countless pieces dealing with the unique child custody and divorce issues that men and fathers face. Through his work on,, and, Mr. Garrison has become an authority on the complexities of the legal experience and was a content creator for the YouTube series “Dad’s Divorce Live” and additional videos on both the Dad’s Divorce and Cordell & Cordell YouTube channels. Mr. Garrison has managed the sites of these customers, and fostered the creation of several of their features, including the Cordell & Cordell attorney and office pages, the Dad’s Divorce Newsletter, and the Cordell & Cordell newsletter.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.