How Can I Stop Child Support For A Child Who Now Lives With Me?

child supportQuestion:

How can I stop child support payments when the child has been in my custody for two years?


Please be advised that I am barred in Pennsylvania and will answer your question based on my experience in Pennsylvania.

In this state, if a party has primary custody of the child, then the other parent owes a duty of child support to that parent. If the parties have shared custody of the child, then the higher wage earner owes a duty of support to the lower wage earner and it is reduced in proportion to the amount of overnight custodial time the obligor has.

Philadelphia Divorce Attorney Jaimie Collins
Philadelphia Divorce Attorney Jaimie Collins

If a party has gained primary or sole physical custody of the child since entry of the support order, then, in this state, he or she must cross-file for child support with the Domestic Relations Section in order to request that their support obligation terminate and the other party pay child support.

In Pennsylvania, the support obligation will not be automatically altered even if a new custody order has been entered, so the party seeking the modification of the child support matter must take proactive action.

You should schedule an initial consultation with an attorney barred in your state at the earliest opportunity to discuss the facts of your case and your options for relief further.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Pennsylvania divorce lawyer Jaimie Collins, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Shawn Garrison is an Online Editor for Lexicon, focusing on subjects related to the legal services of customers, Cordell & Cordell and Cordell & Cordell UK. He has written countless pieces dealing with the unique child custody and divorce issues that men and fathers face. Through his work on,, and, Mr. Garrison has become an authority on the complexities of the legal experience and was a content creator for the YouTube series “Dad’s Divorce Live” and additional videos on both the Dad’s Divorce and Cordell & Cordell YouTube channels. Mr. Garrison has managed the sites of these customers, and fostered the creation of several of their features, including the Cordell & Cordell attorney and office pages, the Dad’s Divorce Newsletter, and the Cordell & Cordell newsletter.

One comment on “How Can I Stop Child Support For A Child Who Now Lives With Me?

    My name is Heather and my ex and I have joint legal and physical custody of our 9yr old son. My fiancé has cancer and Missouri refused him Healthcare 3 times and we moved to Washington State and within 15 minutes he had Healthcare. That being said on my sons last day of school he went to live with his father because we moved to Washington. I can’t and would not keep them from each other. There is court ordered child support. I don’t have employment yet but will soon. Child support is 300.00 a month. Ex has always made significantly more than I ever have. How can I get the child support stopped? Do i have to go back to Missouri to stop it? What do I need to do?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.