Can The State Garnish Wages For Child Support If I Move?

St. Louis divorce lawyerQuestion:

My child support is currently being garnished from my paycheck because I owe back child support.

I am now moving out of state and was wondering how child support enforcement would work.

Can the state that issued my child support orders still garnish my paycheck for arrears if I move to another state?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can only give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Missouri child support laws where I am temporarily permitted to practice.

A foreign state has the ability to garnish your bank accounts, wages, etc., despite the fact that you no longer reside there. Specifically, states can generally enforce the judgments of other states pursuant to the Constitutional concept of Full Faith and Credit, so the original state that issued the order can certainly seek back child support arrearages from you even if you live in another state.

Prosecuting Child Support:

Advice From A Former Prosecutor

As such, you should do whatever it takes to become current on your arrearages, as you may become subject to further legal action against you, including fines, penalties, and even jail time.

Keep in mind that states often have the ability to do whatever it takes to collect child support, and unfortunately, that may even include taking a large part of your income.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men. Consult with a local divorce lawyer for specific legal advice on divorce.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Jennifer de Lyon Stralka, a St. Louis divorce lawyer, contact Cordell & Cordell Law Firm.

End of Content Icon

One comment on “Can The State Garnish Wages For Child Support If I Move?

    Oh yes they can
    I live in Cali but the state of nh garnished my wages. If you move and take a job in another state you don’t have to report the garnishment to your employer but it doesn’t disappear so either way you are going to get caught. If your ex takes you back to court or the child support agency in the previous state reports it to the child support agency in the other, it will be bad for you either way. It sucks no matter what happens, and there really is no legal way out unless you send money to the CS agency yourself. At least if you do they won’t drop the hammer. Hope it helps

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *