Can You Make A Temporary Restraining Order Permanent?

divorce lawyer Andrea JohnsonQuestion:

My temporary restraining order against my ex-wife for domestic violence is about to expire. My child is scared to death to go back to living with her mom because of her abusive tendencies.

How can I make a temporary restraining order permanent to ensure my child continues to live with me and not with my dangerous ex-wife?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Georgia divorce laws where I am licensed to practice.

You should go back to the court and ask for the Temporary Protective Order or Restraining Order to be made permanent. You may want to consider taking your child with you so the judge can see how afraid and emotionally jarring this is for the child.

If the judge does not make the restraining order permanent, then you may wish to file a modification of custody action in order to ensure that, at a minimum, your ex-wife has no custodial (or limited custodial) rights.

Read Related Articles:

Orders of Protection

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with divorce lawyers for men in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Atlanta Divorce Lawyer Andrea Johnson, please contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *