Can You Modify Temporary Orders?

Omaha Nebraska Divorce LawyerQuestion:

My temporary orders during my divorce force me to pay exorbitant child support costs along with my living expenses and the utility bills for the house she got to stay in.

These bills are almost bankrupting me and our divorce isn’t even final! Am I obligated to keep paying these bills or can I modify temporary orders before they become final divorce orders and I’m left broke?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Nebraska divorce laws where I am licensed to practice.

Many states allow the  parties to present evidence at an initial temporary hearing to establish temporary allowances, which includes items such as visitation, child support, allocation of expenses, and spousal support.

From the limited set of facts you have given it sounds as though your Temporary Order assessed you with an obligation for child support and an allocation of the living expenses of your spouse, which may or may not be considered alimony.

In many jurisdictions, this Temporary Order will not be reviewed or changed prior to a final hearing or trial. However, due to the length of time some cases can take before final hearing, some Temporary Orders may be reviewed for what many jurisdictions term a significant or material “change in circumstances.” Where I practice, it can be for a non-voluntary decrease in income, an increase in medical expenses, or information which was not known at the prior hearing.

It can also be reviewed for parties who were unrepresented or for myriad other reasons. In some jurisdictions, this “material change in circumstances” has to have lasted for at least three months and be reasonably expected to last for an additional six months.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Omaha, Nebraska Divorce Lawyer Jamie Kinkaid, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *