Preventing The Ex From Repeatedly Moving With The Children

mens divorce lawyer Janet Yu JohnstonQuestion:

My ex-wife was awarded primary child custody and exclusive rights in regards to deciding where our children live. She has repeatedly moved from the state we were divorced in, but is currently living in a state that I recently moved to.

I am trying to get back into my children’s lives, but I am fearful that she will move again.

Are there any chances the court will amend the orders and not allow her exclusive rights to decide where the children live since she constantly moves in part to keep me away from my children? What jurisdiction would I need to file this motion in?


I am not licensed to practice law in your state so I cannot offer legal advice on divorce. However, I can give you general divorce help for men that may be useful to you.

Usually, you would need to go to the state where the divorce was filed and modify the order there. However, since none of the family is still in the original state, you would need to try to work things out in the state where the children are currently located. The answer to your question depends on what the terms of your final order are.

If they allow your ex exclusive rights to where the children live, that could be difficult to modify. However, if you can show that your ex has moved and will continue to move continuously, you could attempt to modify that order in hopes the judge will see the need for a stable environment for the children. It really depends a lot on what your child custody agreements for the children are.

I recommend that you speak with an attorney in your jurisdiction for more specific divorce help for men.


Cordell & Cordell has mens divorce lawyers located nationwide. To arrange an initial consultation with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Janet Yu Johnston, an Associate Attorney in the Louisville, Kentucky office, please contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *