Child Support: Does My Military BAH Count As Income?

Michigan divorce lawyerQuestion:

What counts as income for child support? I recently moved into military housing and began receiving Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH).

My ex hasn’t worked in four years yet suddenly I receive an increase in my child support payments simply because I moved into military housing.

Is the BAH I receive considered income for purposes of calculating child support?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Michigan child support laws where I am licensed to practice.

Where I practice, the courts can take into account all relevant aspects of a parent’s financial status when determining child support. Under the Michigan Child Support Formula the parties’ incomes can include: military specialty pay, allowance for quarters, and BAH-II pay.  These are just some of the things that can be included in income when determining child support.

You also mentioned that your ex-wife has not worked in four years. If she is able to work, and is merely choosing not to, you should consider requesting that she have some amount of income imputed to her for the purposes of child support calculation. This could possibly lower your child support obligation.

You Might Be Interested In:

State Child Support Calculators

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with an attorney in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Kathryn Carruthers, an associate attorney in the Michigan offices, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *