Child Support Doesn’t Stop During Unemployment

Stressed Over MoneyQuestion:

I have had a verbal agreement with my ex-wife for the last eight years regarding child support. Because of the economy, I have been unemployed for several years.

I just recently gained employment and started getting my life back together, but now my wife has filed a show cause for the previous eight years of support. According to the show cause, I could be imprisoned, which would do her no good and only ruin what I have worked so hard for.

Do I have any recourse?


Indiana divorce attorney Blake Reed
Indiana divorce attorney Blake Reed

I am not licensed to practice law in your state. Therefore, I cannot inform you as to the specific laws of your state and can only provide you with general tips regarding child support.

I recommend consulting with an attorney in your state to determine what your specific course of action should be. Even if you were not employed, unfortunately the child support obligation still exists.

Your attorney can provide the court with appropriate facts and explain your employment situation.

Additionally, support may be increased or decreased depending upon the wage you are making at this point in time.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Indiana divorce lawyer Blake Reed, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Shawn Garrison is an Online Editor for Lexicon, focusing on subjects related to the legal services of customers, Cordell & Cordell and Cordell & Cordell UK. He has written countless pieces dealing with the unique child custody and divorce issues that men and fathers face. Through his work on,, and, Mr. Garrison has become an authority on the complexities of the legal experience and was a content creator for the YouTube series “Dad’s Divorce Live” and additional videos on both the Dad’s Divorce and Cordell & Cordell YouTube channels. Mr. Garrison has managed the sites of these customers, and fostered the creation of several of their features, including the Cordell & Cordell attorney and office pages, the Dad’s Divorce Newsletter, and the Cordell & Cordell newsletter.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.