Child Support Is Leaving Me With No Money

St. Louis divorce lawyerQuestion:

I pay child support for a child I had with a woman I briefly dated.

When a paternity test revealed I was the father I stepped up and took on the responsibilities as a dad.

With it came an order for child support that takes away almost half of my monthly income, which already was small to begin with.

If I were to take this back to court for a child support modification, would there be a good chance that my payments would be reduced?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can only give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Missouri paternity laws where I am temporarily permitted to practice. Please be advised that I am not certain as to the underlying facts in your case, but can only speculate based upon the information that you have provided to me.

In your case, it is unclear as to whether an administrative order was filed for child support or whether a petition for child support was filed with the family law division in your specific county.

Presuming your child support was awarded through a paternity action in the family law division, then you would have to bring a motion to modify the amount, which can be done if you can show that there are a new set of circumstances that are so substantial and continuing that they render the current award unreasonable or that the numbers in the child support guidelines have changed to cause a 20% reduction in the original award.

How Much Should You Be Paying?

Child Support Calculators

At this juncture there is no way to predict whether you would be granted a modification, as I would have to see the original calculations presented to the court as well as additional relevant information in order to determine whether a court would even entertain a modification in your case.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men. Consult with a local divorce lawyer for specific legal advice on divorce and child support laws.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Jennifer de Lyon Stralka, a St. Louis divorce lawyer, contact Cordell & Cordell Law Firm.

End of Content Icon

3 comments on “Child Support Is Leaving Me With No Money

    I already have a garnish ment for childsupport of 400 a month n now they are hiting me with another 400 for another child when the first leter said 60 bucks a month i have 3 chirldern one whom is a new born i cant afford to pay my rent or or live or support my new born cuz of this crazy payments tgey want to throw out. Idk what to do i cant even buy my new born dipers cuz child support wants so much money from me what do i do who do i call this is going to push me to be homless idk what to do or how to handle this
    Pls help is it against my rights to take that much were you cant live or support your self or other childern is this illegal to take that much from one man … its been so bad that ive been homeless befor for 5 yrs idk what to do or how to go a bout this

    My sons are 30 and 25 yours oid the ex open a case on me for child support in 2005 But the father had open case on him to pay back child support in 1999 my kids never seen no money from him I did my taxes for the yours 2012 2013 2015 and 2015 he has received Over 300.00ol. Dollars. I like to know if some one help me close the case I have been calling the worker hes is no help and also thay are i alking money out if my employment benefits I I do not know what to do I can provide payment I have made to the child support of all my paymens I would like if someone can lookover the case to see if I over payed in child support thank you Melinda Gomez 619 263 1980 619 214 0665

    child support
    I need help and feel like the system is cheating me of my money with child support. I have been paying my child support since my ex wife got custody of my two girls. The system says I’m incompliance, I have proof of all my check stubs of all the money they take out, but all of a sudden as soon as tax season comes around they take my license from me and say I owe 5,000 dollars but I have been paid up. Not only that but the money I pay for my girls to have shoes and clothes my ex wife pays her child support for her previous two kids in her previous relationship. That money is for my girls And I need help to find out what I can do.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *