Support Modification: Who Notifies The Agency Of Changes?

divorce lawyer Andrew LaufersQuestion:

When child support is modified which party is responsible to notify the agency?

How is the modification information transferred from the court to the correct agency?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Minnesota divorce laws where I am licensed to practice.

Generally, if a judgment has been modified, then you should notify the appropriate agency. In most cases, it is not wise to rely on anyone else to notify the appropriate agency for you.

Most states will require you to fill out a form with their office and to provide them a certified copy of the modification order.

It can take up to 5-6 months to implement the modification with the agency after they receive the information.

In the meantime, until the order is implemented, you should continue paying your ex child support and keep track of direct payments by retaining a copy of the canceled check or some other appropriate instrument showing payment. You should never make the payment in cash, but only via bank check, money order, or personal check.

You should make the direct payments to avoid a past due balance (an arrearage).

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Minnesota Divorce Lawyer Andrew J. Laufers, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *