Covering Child’s Car Insurance

divorce lawyer Alex DurstQuestion:

My divorce decree states I am to pay for half of necessary expenses for my child, including car insurance, but mentions nothing of having to purchase the vehicle.

In this instance, am I obligated for paying for half of my child’s car in addition to providing insurance coverage?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Ohio divorce laws where I am licensed to practice.

Where I practice, an obligation to pay half the expenses of car insurance does not mean (again, unless there is an express provision requiring it) that you also have to pay half the cost of a car.

However, you may be responsible if there is a provision in your divorce decree requiring it.

So while your child may like you to think you are required to help him buy a car, in all likelihood you are not.

Read Related Articles:

Handling The Cars In Divorce

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Ohio Divorce Lawyer Alexander J. Durst, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

One comment on “Covering Child’s Car Insurance

    My custody papers do not mention anything about splitting the cost of a car or car insurance . Do I have to pay for these things ? Note my ex has already purchased a car without me getting to say a word and now wants me to pay half ?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *