Custody Rights If Given to Mother-in-Law

Question:elisabeth flemming attorney nevada

If we give full custody to my wife’s mother and we happen to divorce, can my mother-in-law give fully custody back to my wife or make me pay all of the child support?



While I am not licensed to practice law in your state, I can give some general guidance on this issue.

In most states, when a person is granted custody of a child, that will also include support for the child from one or both of the parents. Custody also grants the custodian certain decision-making ability, but a grant of custody does not necessarily terminate a parent’s rights to his or her child.

Your case is unique as it appears that you and your wife are thinking about giving full custody of your child to your mother-in-law. Once that is done, it will be hard to predict exactly what could occur in the future, but there would always be a possibility that your mother-in-law would not want to continue to exercise custody and would want to revert it back to you and your wife.

Usually, if there is not an agreement by the different parties, the court is the only one that can enter an order and change custody.

Before you give custody of your child or sign anything that gives custody of your child, you should consult an attorney to discuss the long term ramifications of this decision and what it can mean for you.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult a domestic litigation attorney in your area to obtain specific advice as to the laws in your state and how they impact your potential case.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Nevada divorce lawyer Elisabeth Flemming, contact Cordell & Cordell. 

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *