Do I have the right to access my son’s private school tuition financial records?

Divorce attorney Jason BowmanQuestion:

I pay my son’s private school tuition directly to my ex as stated in the divorce decree, but she signed the contract and will not let me see the invoice. I believe she is getting financial aid and pocketing my money, which should be going toward private school.

I asked the school for a copy and they said since I wasn’t on the contract they did not know if they could share that information. As a paying father, do I have the right to access my son’s private school tuition financial records?


First let me preface my answer by stating that I am not licensed in the state of Tennessee, although Cordell & Cordell does have attorneys who are licensed in Tennessee that would be happy to discuss your case with you.

The decree of marital settlement agreement should provide guidance in this situation. Generally speaking, when Courts require any party to pay a portion of a child’s expenses whether educational or health related, they usually require proof or documentation of such expenses. I advise all my clients to only pay when they are provided documentation because I have come across situations that you may be facing, where one party is paying more than they have agreed or were ordered to pay.

You should talk to an attorney in your jurisdiction as to what options you have available to you with regard to obtaining the proper documentation.

Jason Bowman is an attorney in the Louisville, Kentucky office of Cordell & Cordell. He is licensed in the states of Kentucky and Texas. He received his Bachelor of Science in Business from the University of Louisville, and received his Juris Doctor from Texas Wesleyan University.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *