Do Medical Expenses Extend To An Emancipated Child?

Medical InsuranceQuestion:

Does the agreed upon order for medical expenses extend to a child that is emancipated?


While I am not licensed to practice law in your state and cannot give you legal advice, I can give some general observations on this issue based on the jurisdiction where I practice.

Where I do practice in Pennsylvania, the obligation to support one’s child lasts until the child is emancipated, that is until the child reaches the age of 18 or graduates from high school—whichever occurs later.

Pennsylvania divorce attorney William Phelan
Cordell & Cordell Pennsylvania divorce attorney William Phelan, IV

Medical insurance coverage and out-of-pocket medical expenses are almost always included in such a support obligation. Therefore, before terminating health insurance or refusing to pay for medical expenses per a support order for a child who is believed to be emancipated, it is best to confirm with the court that such emancipation has occurred—as the obligor should make sure not to violate any existing support order.

In Pennsylvania, once the child is nearing emancipation, the court will usually schedule a conference to confirm the emancipation and, if possible, begin the process of closing out the child support case. If this does not happen, a parent who is the obligor can call the support office and ask about ending the case because of emancipation.

Due to the extremely fact-specific nature of this situation, I would strongly suggest you contact an attorney who handles family law matters in your jurisdiction, such as Cordell & Cordell, to see how your state’s laws can help you with this serious situation.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips, so please consult a domestic litigation attorney in your jurisdiction to obtain specific advice as to the laws in Kentucky and how they impact your potential case.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Pennsylvania divorce lawyer William J. Phelan, IV, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Shawn Garrison is an Online Editor for Lexicon, focusing on subjects related to the legal services of customers, Cordell & Cordell and Cordell & Cordell UK. He has written countless pieces dealing with the unique child custody and divorce issues that men and fathers face. Through his work on,, and, Mr. Garrison has become an authority on the complexities of the legal experience and was a content creator for the YouTube series “Dad’s Divorce Live” and additional videos on both the Dad’s Divorce and Cordell & Cordell YouTube channels. Mr. Garrison has managed the sites of these customers, and fostered the creation of several of their features, including the Cordell & Cordell attorney and office pages, the Dad’s Divorce Newsletter, and the Cordell & Cordell newsletter.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.