Do I have to notify my ex of an address change?

Question:jason bowman attorney kentucky

Does one parent need to notify the other parent of a new address after a move? Is this legally required?


While I am not licensed to practice law in your state, I can give some general guidance on this issue.

As a general rule, it is always a good idea for parents to discuss and exchange information especially as it relates to the children.

However, there may be incidents where that is not possible. A lot of states have laws that specifically allow for one parent not to divulge a new address, but that usually involves a case where domestic violence has been determined to occur.

If there is no domestic violence, then it is important that you review the orders of the court, state and local rules to see if anything is covered in those documents.

If there is no prohibition against knowing a parent’s address and they continue to refuse to provide that address, you may need to seek the assistance of the court as all parents should have a right to know where there children are going to reside.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult a domestic litigation attorney in your area to obtain specific advice as to the laws in your state and how they impact your potential case.


To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Kentucky divorce lawyer Jason Bowman, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *