Entering Another State’s Order In My New State To Transfer Jurisdiction

Noblesville Indiana Divorce LawyerQuestion:

I moved out of state with my child several months and he has resided in our new home state for a few months following a change in custody I worked out with his mother.

I would like to get the child support case transferred from our previous state where it was entered to my new state’s jurisdiction because of difficulties I have had with modifying the amount in the previous state.

We are simply looking to get it transferred and reverse the child support so that the mother pays me, which she has agreed to as we are amicable with each other.

How can I domesticate another state’s order in my new state so that jurisdiction is transferred?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Indiana divorce and child support laws where I am licensed to practice.

As soon as your son has lived in your state for 6 months, you will likely want to domesticate the previous state’s order with the local court. Then, all future hearings on modifications will take place in your state.

In the event that you are able to reach an agreement regarding child support, it could also be filed in your state once the previous state’s order has been domesticated. Once your state has been the home state of the child for six months, you may file the previous order with the your state’s court to domesticate the order in your state.

Divorce Resources:

State Divorce Laws

As you may not want to wait 6 months to modify child support, you may request the modification in the previous state.

In the event that the child’s mother agrees to the modification of child support, an agreed entry regarding child support could be signed by the child’s mother and father and filed with the previous state’s court. At that point, the agreement would be submitted to the judge for his approval that would become an order of the court once signed.

Then, once your son has resided in your state for 6 months, the older order could be filed in your state to be domesticated and the future modifications would be handled in your state.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Noblesville, Indiana Divorce Lawyer Sara Pitcher, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

One comment on “Entering Another State’s Order In My New State To Transfer Jurisdiction

    My support order is 13 years old and originated in N.Y. I moved to Florida a year and a half ago. My income is not enough to meet N.Y. standards. Is there any way to transfer the order to Florida so it can be based on what I earn in Florida and not what I earned in N.Y.?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *