Am I Entitled To A Public Defender?

public defenderQuestion:

I was recently served with a contempt motion. I do not have an attorney and my hearing is approaching.

I was advised to get a continuance and request a public defender.

What is my best option going into this without an attorney?


While I am not licensed to practice law in your state, I am licensed to practice in Pennsylvania and can give you some general guidance with respect to this issue.

First, I recommend attending a contempt hearing represented by counsel. A contempt proceeding is by nature a very serious court proceeding where a lit is at stake.

Here in Pennsylvania public defenders are not available in most family law matters, and only in some counties are they provided as it relates to support contempt (in which case they are present in court the day of the hearing, to assist you).

If you appear in court or file a continuance here you have submitted to notice. You would not be able to claim you did not have proper notice once acknowledging receipt by requesting the continuance.

It is not clear what the contempt is for but I strongly encourage you to speak with counsel.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *