Filing For Child Support If Parenting Time Increases

divorce lawyer Maura BoogayQuestion:

My child support payments were recently terminated after a child custody modification that increased my parenting time resulting in shared 50/50 physical custody.

I would like to receive child support from my ex-wife because she makes more money than me and I will have increased child rearing costs with more parenting time.

Am I able to file for child support in this situation?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Pennsylvania child support laws where I am licensed to practice.

In my jurisdiction, if you share 50/50 physical custody with the other parent and the other parent makes more income than you, then you could have a claim for child support. The parent with the higher income often is liable for child support but there is an adjustment in that obligation that will factor in shared custody.

If you want to claim child support, your order will only be effective starting the date you file your Petition for Child Support. You will not get a hearing until a few weeks later, but the effective date will be the date of filing.

You should have a child support lawyer review your income and the other parent’s income to see what support obligation exists with the adjustment for shared physical custody.

The impact of the adjustment will obviously vary depending on the disparity between your respective income amounts.

Child Support Calculator:

How Much Should You Be Paying?

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with divorce lawyers for men in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Philadelphia Divorce Lawyer Maura C. Boogay, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *