Guardian Ad Litem Assigned To My Child Custody Case

Omaha Nebraska Divorce LawyerQuestion:

A guardian ad litem was assigned in my divorce and child custody case to represent my child during a hearing.

However, I have yet to hear from the guardian ad litem that the judge assigned.

How can I move the custody case forward if the guardian ad litem is not staying involved?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Nebraska and Iowa divorce laws where I am licensed to practice.

A Guardian Ad Litem is a court appointed attorney who is charged with reviewing the parties’ relationship with their minor child(ren) and making a child custody and parenting time recommendation to the court.

You should make an appointment with the guardian ad litem’s office so you can meet with them in person. If this is not a possibility, ask your divorce attorney to contact them and determine what the issue may be.

In some cases it may just be travel or schedule issues. In others, the guardian ad litem may not know they are assigned to the case or they may be checking to see if there is a conflict.

Since the court has assigned a guardian ad litem, it is not likely you can proceed without the report from them and served upon the court.

Therefore, it will be necessary to meet with them to proceed with your child custody determination.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Omaha, Nebraska Divorce Lawyer Jamie Kinkaid, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

One comment on “Guardian Ad Litem Assigned To My Child Custody Case

    My partner and I separated when our child was an infant and she quit school and did not work until the past year, although her parents unofficially ‘loaned ” her money from her trust fund that she will get in 10 years. They also pay for expenses she has including child care, which I also benefit from so I can work and finish school. She wanted ‘a break’ last year, so I had my child full time for several months. This meant I had to quit my job for one more flexible, even though my family helped with the child care. Then she got sober and moved 30 miles away, buying a house without telling me, with her new boyfriend. The problem is that despite a parenting plan accepted by the court which allows childcare only by family members, she leaves our child alone with the boyfriend who I don’t trust by reputation, and also his family members, feeling they are ‘like family’. When I filed a complaint, the judge did not find her in contempt.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *