How Are Profit-Sharing Plans Divided In Divorce?


My divorce agreement specifies that I pay a percentage of any profit sharing that I get from my work each year. My ex-wife feels I should pay her the percentage of pre-taxed profit sharing payout. I think I should pay her the percentage after the taxed payout.

Who is right?


While I am not licensed to practice law in your state and cannot give you legal advice, I can give some general observations on this issue based on the jurisdiction where I practice.

Check the decree and see if it addresses the issue. If the decree is silent on the issue, then you can pay her in the manner most advantageous to you. She can either accept this payment or bear the cost of pursuing the action further.

Omaha divorce attorney Nancy Shannon
Omaha divorce attorney Nancy Shannon

The decree will eventually be up to a judge to interpret, if she pushes the issue back to the courtroom. An attorney licensed in your state, who practices in the county the decree was issues in, should have a good guess as to how s/he would expect the judge to rule on the issue.

Family law is based on statutes that are state specific. I am licensed to practice in Nebraska and am not able to give specific and detailed legal advice regarding your situation. You need to contact an attorney licensed in your state who specializes in domestic litigation.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Nebraska divorce lawyer Nancy Shannon, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Shawn Garrison is an Online Editor for Lexicon, focusing on subjects related to the legal services of customers, Cordell & Cordell and Cordell & Cordell UK. He has written countless pieces dealing with the unique child custody and divorce issues that men and fathers face. Through his work on,, and, Mr. Garrison has become an authority on the complexities of the legal experience and was a content creator for the YouTube series “Dad’s Divorce Live” and additional videos on both the Dad’s Divorce and Cordell & Cordell YouTube channels. Mr. Garrison has managed the sites of these customers, and fostered the creation of several of their features, including the Cordell & Cordell attorney and office pages, the Dad’s Divorce Newsletter, and the Cordell & Cordell newsletter.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.