How Can I Contact My Kids When My Ex Bars Communication?


My wife has primary custody of our two kids and refuses to answer any of my calls or texts when I try to get ahold of them. Nor will she allow me to ever visit them.

Is this parental kidnapping?


I am not licensed to practice law in your state. Therefore, I cannot inform you as to the specific laws of your state and can only provide you with general information concerning parent time.

I don’t believe this would be considered to be “parental kidnapping” because your inquiry states that she has primary custody of the children.

However, you most likely have rights when it comes to speaking to your children.

Look at your court order and find what it says about being able to contact your children by telephone, email, Skype, etc. Find the exact provision that your ex-wife is in violation of by not letting you communicate with your children.

Potentially, you could take her to court for his violation of the court order.

You could also look into alternative ways to contact your children. If they have cell phones, you could try to call them personally. If they have individual email accounts, you can contact them that way. If you know the mailing address, you can also try to send your children letters by mail.

Most importantly, do not let this situation continue. You need to make efforts to contact your children and document those efforts.

If this goes on for too long, your ex-wife could move to terminate your parental rights based on allegations of neglect and abandonment and you certainly do not want that to happen.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than general parent time tips, so please consult a domestic litigation attorney in your area to obtain specific advice as to the laws in your state and how they impact your circumstances.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

2 comments on “How Can I Contact My Kids When My Ex Bars Communication?

    what if the other parent takes away your kids phone when they are with him. i have full of custody of my kids and my ex gets them for certain holidays and one weekend a month… but for my sons bday i got him a cell phone that i paid for and i am paying it monthly but i just found out that the step mom took the cell phone away for the rest of the winter break and now my kids are not able to contact me anytime they want…

    I have joint custody of my son…my x wife is taking him into the bars…..can i go in and take him out.and take him home….bars can be ok.but thay can be dangerous. As well.he is only 8 years old and is meeting. People that he should not know or them know him

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *