How Can I File For Child Custody?

Omaha Nebraska Divorce LawyerQuestion:

What are the procedures for actually filing for child custody?

I recently opened a parenting plan case and had my wife served while she was living in a filthy apartment with my children, but nothing has happened.

How can I file for child custody?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Nebraska and Iowa child custody laws where I am licensed to practice.

If you have opened a case which involves child custody and a parenting plan, then it appears you have already begun the necessary paperwork to file for custody. You may need to amend your pleadings initially filed with the court to request custody, instead of just visitation or parenting time.

In the event you have not opened a true child custody action, you will need to file to request custody in the initial Petition and have your spouse served. This paperwork can be drafted by a local men’s divorce attorney.

After serving her, you may be able to get a temporary order that grants you custody in the interim period. She will then have a certain time frame to answer your Petition or Complaint for Custody or otherwise face a default judgment.

Read Related Articles:

Proper Divorce Procedures

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Omaha, Nebraska Divorce Lawyer Jamie Kinkaid, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *