How Do I Divorce A Missing Spouse?

divorcing a missing spouseQuestion:

How can I get a divorce if I cannot find my spouse to sign the divorce papers?


I do not practice law in your state. Therefore, I cannot inform you as to the specific laws of your state and can only provide you with general tips on your situation.

Most states have a process by which a person can get divorced, even if they cannot locate their spouse or the spouse refuses to sign paperwork. Most of the time, this process involves filing for the divorce and then making efforts to locate or communicate with the spouse and documenting those efforts for the court.

Divorce attorney Anne Scipior
Wisconsin divorce attorney Anne Scipior

If the spouse still refuses to participate, and you can show you have made efforts to communicate with the spouse, many times a “default” divorce is entered – meaning a divorce is entered without the involvement of the other spouse and the court basically grants what you are seeking in the divorce without input form the other spouse.

A domestic litigation attorney in your state will be able to advise you of the specific process in your state for obtaining a divorce when the other spouse does not want to participate and refuses to cooperate.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than tips on your situation, so please consult a domestic litigation attorney in your area to obtain specific advice as to the laws in your state and how they impact your potential case.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Wisconsin divorce lawyer Anne Scipior, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *