How To Avoid Jail Over Child Support Arrears

St. Louis divorce lawyerQuestion:

I owe a substantial amount in child support arrears and am worried I will be thrown in jail.

The state is preparing to take away my driver’s license and my professional licenses, which will leave me unable to drive or work and result in jail time. This only makes the problem worse!

What can I do to prevent the state from taking these actions and forcing me into falling even further behind on child support?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can only give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Missouri child support laws where I am temporarily permitted to practice.

Where I practice, when someone owes a back child support arrearage, the state may pursue a number of enforcement procedures against you, including revoking your driver’s license, garnishing your wages/bank accounts, intercepting federal and state tax income refunds, and even throwing you in jail.

Unfortunately, the best way to combat the state’s action is to pay off your child support arrearage. If you are unable to do so, you need to seek a modification of your child support order immediately through your state (if possible) or the court system.

Prosecuting Child Support:

Advice From A Former Prosecutor

I urge you to speak with a mens divorce attorney as soon as possible to find out about what your options are in contesting the state’s measures. This is crucial, especially if you are able to get a hearing.

No matter what state you live in, when it comes to child support arrearages, the only true way to avoid any legal issues is to do whatever it takes to become current on your child support obligation.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men. Consult with a local divorce lawyer for specific legal advice on divorce.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Jennifer de Lyon Stralka, a St. Louis divorce lawyer, contact Cordell & Cordell Law Firm.

End of Content Icon

3 comments on “How To Avoid Jail Over Child Support Arrears

    hi im a father who divorce 6 yrs for infidelity and 2 yrs later she reported me, but she did not report that i payed her rent out of the house for a full year until she decide to move with the kids to GA, to be with the father of the little one who is not mine and im trying to disestablish paternity, she cant contested b,ecause the child is mix and we are white. i was paying what i can, the court suspend my lic. back in oct. and now i m not really working i do what i can to still pay something, and now im in contempt, cus i have not pay as i should, my rears but i check at the court house and i have paid more than 6000 last year and since i lost the job i have paid about 600, she had a good job at kia and did not reported so they are making pay like if she is not working while living with the father of the little one i will go to court and bring some money what i have made so far, but i just dont want to go to jail and if i hac my licsense i would be working.. i also got marry 4 years ago and have to help with the bills of my house and wife. can you advise me if im going to go to jail for my back chld support, iam paying but i guess is not enough and im doing whatever i can to pay. ,

    Well, while I agree that you should seek an attorney as soon as possible, I find it interesting that you have professional licensing and from your question you are currently working but you have not been paying child support. I am actually with you as far as them taking away their licenses to drive and to work. It doesn’t make sense. They should just garnish your wages or something. It is a brave man who can go on a public forum and admit that he has not been paying child support and he is looking for help for preventing it from happening again, but at least he got some answers.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *