How To Handle Parenting Issues With An Ex-Spouse

Omaha Nebraska Divorce LawyerQuestion:

My ex and I agreed to discuss and get permission from each other for activities one of us might not approve of.

I have been diligent with this because she is very anti-gun and violence, yet I just learned she took the kids to see a James Bond movie. I’m ok with that, but if the situation were reversed and I’m the one who took the kids without her permission she would have punished the children and given me an earful. There are other examples of inconsistencies as well.

My question is how to handle telling her that she is free to raise them as she sees fit, as am I, and that she cannot punish them if I have approved of an activity with me.

Should I have an attorney send her this in a letter or just tell her myself and let the chips fall where they may?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Nebraska divorce laws where I am licensed to practice.

I can certainly understand your frustration with the situation. Be sure that you’re documenting all of these occurrences in case you want to take formal action against her in the future for possibly being in contempt of court.

Also, keep in mind that many of the issues that you are bringing up are very subjective ones. What is so clearly “inappropriate” to you might not seem that way to your ex-spouse, in some instances.

Read Related Articles:

Co-Parenting Post-Divorce

The answer to which course of action you take now, communication through yourself or an attorney, is very dependent on the relationship between you and your ex-spouse. If you have a relationship of open and respectful communication, then by all means, attempt to discuss it with her yourself.

However, if you have found communication with her in the past to be ineffective, then it is doubtful that this situation will be any different. It would likely be helpful to obtain the assistance of an attorney that could draft a letter that might make a greater impact on your ex-spouse.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Omaha, Nebraska Divorce Lawyer Nancy Shannon, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *