If I Already Pay Child Support Do I Also Pay For Insurance?

mens divorce lawyerQuestion:

My question is about child support and health insurance.

I recently started a new job and declined their health insurance coverage because I cannot afford it.

Can the state make me provide insurance on my child that I already pay child support for even though I cannot even afford insurance for myself?


I can give you a general overview of the law regarding child support and health insurance, but I cannot give you legal advice on divorce.

Where I practice, if you are obligated to pay child support, the court can also order you to name the child as a beneficiary of any health insurance plan that is available to you through your employer.

Depending on your income, and the cost of the insurance, you may be able to argue that you cannot afford to carry the child on your insurance. However, it will ultimately be within the court’s discretion whether to order you to carry the child on your insurance.

Even if you are not required to carry the child on your insurance, the court could order you to reimburse the other parent for any cost incurred for placing the child on a health insurance plan.

Read Related Article:

Health Insurance and Divorce

Your current child support order should contain a provision regarding health insurance coverage for the child.  If any changes are to be made, the other parent or the state would have to file a motion with the court to modify the child support order.

If you are served with a motion to modify the support order, you should contact a qualified mens divorce lawyer to review the terms of your current support order and discuss your options for responding to the request.

This is not to be taken as legal advice on divorce as I have only provided you with general divorce tips for men.

Cordell & Cordell understands the concerns men face during divorce.

To schedule an appointment with a Cordell & Cordell mens divorce attorney, including Belleville Divorce Lawyer Erin Brockhoff, please contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

3 comments on “If I Already Pay Child Support Do I Also Pay For Insurance?

    If my child support has been terminated but we have to use All Kids Illinois for coverage because we can’t afford to cover at our jobs will the state make me pay child support again? even though the judge terminated it?

    My husband is Goin through the same issue but the child that he is paying for child support is covered by medicaid. Does he still have to put him under another health insurance plan apart from medicaid?

    When i started a new job i claimed my daughter as a dependent, my child’s mother give me permission to claim her. Now she’s changed her mind and before I filled my taxes she claimed the child. Now I owe money to IRS because of it.what can i do about it. She even text me saying she was sorry that she changed her mind and I could do nothing about it.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *