If Kids Must Travel For Parenting Time, Which Party Pays?

jilly duffy detroit attorneyQuestion:

I recently moved out of state and will have my children over the summer and during Winter Break, but I am wondering who or how we pay for travel.

I want to split travel expenses 50/50, but she says because I was the moving party that I should pay for all costs.

Who is right in this situation?


This answer only includes general divorce information for men as I am only licensed to practice in Michigan and cannot provide advice on divorce laws in your state.

You must first look at your existing orders. If the orders are silent regarding who pays for travel, then the costs would be split by agreement, or paid for by the party who wants to secure time with the children.

You may have the right to file a motion with the court asking for the other parent to contribute to the costs of travel. This could be divided based on the ratios of each party’s income.

The other party may have an argument that they did not consent to your move and the additional costs involved, and they should not have to bear the burden of this expense.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult a domestic litigation attorney in your area to obtain specific advice as to the laws in your state and how they impact your potential case.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Michigan divorce lawyer Jill Duffy, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *